Recipes from Belize: Ahh Escabeche..
Escabeche, a delicious stew found throughout Latin America, can be found in as many forms as there are fish in the sea. In fact, fish is sometimes used as a main ingredient in escabeche, although one popular resort in Belize has the hands-down best escabeche recipe using the more traditional chicken.
The Lodge at Chaa Creek, Belize’s premier eco-resort located deep in the Belizean rainforest near the Guatemalan border, boasts some of the best escabeche to be found anywhere. The Chaa Creek escabeche involves slow roasting a whole chicken in a host of aromatic spices until crisp and golden brown. The meat is then gently cut away from the bone and served with warm tortillas.
Escabeche is truly a perfect meal after a day filled with activity and adventure. Visitors to Chaa Creek can go canoeing, horseback riding, or visit ancient Maya temples only a few minutes away. Or for those seeking a more relaxing experience, there is the luxurious Spa at Chaa Creek, for a myriad of rejuvenating therapies.
When it comes to dining, guests eat under a thatched roof palapa and can select from a wide variety of foods prepared in Belizean style, like the following Chaa Creek Escabeche recipe.
1-3 pounds stewing chicken 1 teaspoon thyme
2-3 plugs garlic (crushed) White vinegar to taste (start with ¼ cup)
10-12 spice seeds (whole allspice) 3-4 oregano leaves
2-3 cloves 1 jalapeño pepper
Water (sufficient to cover chicken) 2½ – 3 pounds white onions
1 teaspoon salt 1 teaspoon butter
½ teaspoon black pepper Limejuice
1. Collect all ingredients and equipment
2. Clean whole chicken with limejuice or vinegar. Season chicken with salt and pepper. Cut in half.
3. Put chicken in water and add garlic, oregano, spice seeds, thyme, cloves, and jalapeño.
4. Bring to boil then simmer chicken until tender.
5. Remove chicken from water.
6. Bake chicken in oven to make crisp and brown.
7. Add more water to pot if necessary. Add vinegar.
8. Bring to a boil and add onions.
9. When water begins to boil again, remove from heat.
10. Cut up roasted chicken and add to soup. Add butter and sprinkle with black pepper. Serve with corn tortillas.