Belize Recipes: Carne asada al Chimichurri
Belizean cuisine is influenced by so many ethnicities and their respective foods that it is one of the more misunderstood and underappreciated cuisines. With influences including Maya and Mestizo, Creole (Kriol), Garifuna, Mexican, and more, Belizean cuisine is varied and pays homage to a variety of historical favorites.
Unlike some places, many Belizean specialties can be found throughout the entire country. As a unique departure from some other popular destinations, many recommended “tourist restaurants” are frequented by locals, often times proving to be some of the best spots to sample Belizean cuisine.
Our Head Chef, Mario Mendez, shares with us a scrumptious CARNE ASADA AL CHIMICHURRI Recipe, which is a mix Maya, Mestizo & Mexican flavors. We trust you will enjoy this as much as we do!
Grilled beef steak marinated in Chimichurri Sauce:
- This marinade sauce is perfect for any beef, pork, poultry or seafood, allow the meat to stand a couple hours in this sauce to get better results.
- Yield 4 portions
- 4 beef steaks such as rib eye, porterhouse or sirloin 6-7 oz. each
Ingredients for the chimichurri:
- ½ cup Fresh cilantro
- ½ cup Fresh parsley
- ½ cup Italian flat leaf basil
- 1 whole head fine chopped garlic
- 1 cup extra virgin olive oil
- ½ cup white wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp. dried thyme and bay leaves
- Kosher salt and black pepper to taste
- 1 tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
In a mixing bowl combine all the ingredients for the chimichurri, season the steaks and soak them in the sauce for a couple of hours or overnight to achieve better results. Grill them to your favourite temperature and serve immediately, pour some more of the sauce over the steak serve with grilled spring onions, sweet corn yellow rice and vegetables.