Here are 25 Things to do in Belize!
If you are looking for a holiday destination that is small and friendly, plan a trip to Belize. This beautiful country is often overlooked by those searching for a Caribbean paradise, but their loss is your gain because if you take a trip to Belize you will soon discover paradise on earth. And there is more than enough to keep you occupied 24 hours a day as you will see from the following list of the 25 things to do in Belize.
- Belize is a diver’s paradise and even those who don’t like slipping into a wetsuit can enjoy the exquisite marine life with a visit to the Hole Chan Marine Reserve off the coast of Belize.
- The Maya are a huge part of Belize’s history and the ruins at Lamanai are spectacular. Reach them via a guided tour up the New River, which is worth a visit on its own.
- The Belizean people are very artistic and the Image Factory art gallery is the place to see great examples of Belizean art. You can also buy souvenirs here and partake in a cocktail or two on the deck overlooking the Haulover Creek.
- Belize is an ideal destination to spot whale sharks and if you head to Gladden Spit you can have the chance to see these gentle giants up close and personally. This is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity that really shouldn’t be missed.
- A trip to Belize is not complete without seeing the howler monkeys so head to the Community Baboon Sanctuary where you can see the endangered black howler monkeys.
- The jaguar is a majestic animal that you can see if you visit the Cockscomb Basin Wildlife Sanctuary. This sanctuary is also known for its spectacular waterfalls, mountain views, nature trails, and rich diversity of neotropical birds.
- Every visitor to Belize is fascinated by the country’s rich and interesting history and a visit to the Museum of Belize is the perfect way to explore the history and learn more about its past and its people.
- Divers should head to the 26km long Glovers Reef that is listed on the World Heritage Sites. You will have a chance to see turtles, moray eels, spotted stingrays, eagle rays and so much more.
- The Mayflower Bocawina National Park is the perfect place to explore some of the rain forest and find waterfalls and pools to splash around and cool down in. Keep your eyes peeled for the wildlife and birds as you should see some amazing specimens here.
- If you feel the need for a little pampering then head to a Belize Spa – the country has the best spas in the world. You will be able to experience aromatherapy, reflexology and a lot more in wonderfully relaxing surroundings.
- Those of you with energy to burn will love taking part in a mountain biking tour. These are run daily and follow well planned routes through the jungle. Check for more information.
- If you are looking for a little romance when you come to Belize then charter a sail boat, which comes with a small crew and provides meals and drinks, definitely a day to remember.
- The energetic and fun seeking among you will love a cave tubing adventure tour that will take you through the ancient ceremonial locations of the ancient Maya.
- If you want to get out and explore but don’t fancy peddling then join an ATV and Tikal safari in Flores Peten Guatemala.
- It can be difficult to see the rainforest properly when walking, so for a different perspective how about zip lining through it above and through the canopy?
- If you want to see Belizean entertainment then head to the Bliss Performing Arts Centre where you will be able to watch a show in their 600 seater theatre.
- Wherever you go in Belize you will find a bottle of the hot pepper sauce that the locals love and if you want to do something different why not head to Marie Sharp’s Fine Foods? Here you can take a tour and see how the hot sauce is made and even taste the different varieties of peppers that they produce – if you dare.
- With such abundant marine life the opportunities for fishing tours are endless and there are plenty of tour companies and resorts offering fishing trips so you will be able to go and catch yourself a big fish.
- As I have already mentioned, birding in Belize is simply breathtaking so please take part in an organized guided tour to ensure that you get a real glimpse of the 500 species of colorful birds that make Belize their home.
- There are many ancient Maya cities that have not been excavated in Belize so why not take part in a guided tour of an ancient site that has not been uncovered? Check out El Pilar, one of the archaeological sites in Belize that is not fully excavated.
- If you are in Belize on a Friday night then head to J-Byrds for the dance party and dance the night away with the locals.
- Sports lovers should head to the MCC Grounds where they will be able to catch a football match or a cricket match.
- If you are vacationing in Placencia Belize, head to Yoli’s Bar and Grill where you can sip a Belikin beer and enjoy the sea breezes at lunch. Meals are simple, highlighting local seafood, hamburgers, and basic Belizean fare.
- And if you happen to be in Punta Gorda Belize, make sure to check out Waluco’s bar – a great place to enjoy some authentic Belize nightlife. Most nights you will find local drummers and locals dancing to a style called “punta.” Waluco’s is a must if you are seeking excellent nightlife with a twist of Belize culture.
- Belize also offers some excellent souvenirs to take back from your trip. Whether you’re looking to buy gifts for people back home, or to remember your trip by, here are some excellent souvenir ideas for your trip to Belize: habanero pepper sauce, traditional crafts, and locally made chocolate.
Author bio: Teresa Jens is from Denmark. She is a huge travel lover and a travel blogger. You can read more about her trips (or like they say in Danish rejser) on her blog.