How to prepare Belizean Coconut Shrimps
In this blog post, we share with you the steps to prepare one of our favorite recipes – Belizean Coconut Shrimps.
- 1 local egg
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup Belikin beer (Belizean beer)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups flaked coconut
- 24 shrimp
- 3 cups coconut oil for frying
See video below:
- In a medium bowl, combine egg, 1/2 cup flour, Belikin beer and baking powder. Place 1/4 cup flour and coconut in two separate bowls.
- Hold shrimp by the tail, and dredge in flour, shaking off excess flour. Dip in egg/ Belikin beer batter; allow excess to drip off. Roll shrimp in coconut, and place on a baking sheet lined with wax paper. Refrigerate for 30 minutes. Meanwhile, heat coconut oil to 350 degrees F in a deep-fryer.
- Fry shrimp in batches: cook, turning once, for 2 to 3 minutes, or until golden brown. Using tongs, remove shrimp to paper towels to drain. Serve warm with your favorite home made dipping-sauce.
Check out our Belize Recipes page where you can find a selection of recipes chosen from our past and present menus; from the kitchen of Lucy Fleming as well as from our guests.