How to make Rum Braised Lamb Shanks
Chaa Creek’s Rum Braised Lamb Shanks with a Savory Sweet Potato Pie
Serving for four (4) people
- 4 Lamb shanks*
- 10 cloves chopped Garlic
- 10 leaves diced local oregano
- 12 piece crushed all spice seeds
- 1 teaspoon crushed black pepper
- 1 cup dark sweet rum
- olive oil for sautéing
- 2 pieces onions
- 2 pieces carrots
- 2 pieces green pepper
- 10 pieces ripe tomatoes
- 1 piece zucchini
- 1 piece eggplant
- 2 quarts lamb or beef stock
- 1 cup dark sweet rum
- a handful chopped green herbs
- 8 oz unsalted butter in cubes
For the savory sweet potato pie
- 2 lbs sweet potato
- 5 cloves dice garlic
- 5 leaves local oregano
- 6 oz shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1-quart cow milk
- 5 pieces whole eggs
- 8 oz white flour
- Salt & black pepper to taste
- Marinate the lamb shanks with the garlic, oregano, pepper, all spice seeds and rum and allow marinating for at least 24 hours. Peel the sweet potatoes and cut in slices of 1/8 inch. Season the potato slices with the diced garlic and chopped oregano.
- Whisk the eggs and the milk in a bowl and fold in the sifted flour. Add salt & pepper to taste.
- Cover a 10-inch baking pan with waxed paper. Put a layer of the potatoes in the baking pan, cover it with a layer of mozzarella cheese, continue the same filling up the pan, making sure the top layer is cheese.
- Pour the milk mixture into the baking pan. Make sure the liquid covers the complete potato and cheese mixture.
- Bake the potato pie for 40 minutes in a medium hot oven. Take the lamb out of the marinate and put the liquid aside. Cut the vegetable in ½ inch cubes.
- Dry the lamb shanks with kitchen paper and sauté them in some olive oil till they are brown.
- Add the onions, carrots, and sweet peppers and continue to sauté for a couple of minutes. Add the rest of the vegetables together with the marinate, 1 cup of rum and the stock. Bring the liquid to a boiling point and let the lamb simmer for 3 to 4 hours.
- Add liquid if the lamb is not completely covered. The lamb is ready if the meat is very soft but does not fall off the bone yet.
- Take the lamb out of the gravy and put it aside. Reduce the sauce on low heat. Just before serving add a handful of green herbs like basil and parsley and fold the cold butter cubes into the sauce. Do not cook the sauce again.
- Serve the lamb shank with a slice of the potato pie and sufficient sauce.
- *Beef shanks could make a delicious dish as a replacement to, but will of course not give the specific lamb flavor.
4 thoughts on “How to Make Rum Braised Lamb Shanks”
How to Make Rum Braised Lamb Shanks http://t.co/2bzVn2Kebn
Rum Braised Lamb Shanks. Grab the FREE recipe here: http://t.co/rX1LJNShFM
Rum Braised Lamb Shanks. Grab the FREE recipe here: http://t.co/ma1mSxY4XF
Rum Braised Lamb Shanks. Grab the FREE recipe here: http://t.co/2bzVn2Kebn