The Eco-Kids Summer Educational Adventure Camp is Officially On!
Yes, the competition entry essays have all been submitted and carefully read, and the winners have been selected.
And now, 24 very lucky young people aged between eight and 13 years old will be taking part in an incredible opportunity to experience, up-close and personal, Belize’s beautiful natural environment while learning about how to help preserve this stunning national treasure and ensure its survival into the future.
The Eco-Kids will attend the week long, all-inclusive educational adventure during the week of July 21 – 29 as Chaa Creek’s guests, with everything, from comfortable cabins at the Macal River Camp, delicious, healthy meals, a range of carefully designed activities and events, arts and craft materials, professional naturalist guide instructors and camp counselors all provided for free.
However, according to Lucy Fleming, who with her husband Mick own Chaa Creek and developed the Eco-Kids program, there is a catch.
“We want the kids to take this opportunity to really appreciate their natural heritage and think about how important it is to protect and preserve it. We like to think that, over the years, the Eco-Kids program will inspire our youth and perhaps plant the seeds for further study and maybe even add to the next generation of environmentalists.
“After all, today’s environmentally aware kids represent the best chance for the future survival of Belize’s spectacular, yet fragile, environment.”
The Flemings and their Chaa Creek staff have been conducting the Eco-Kids Summer Camp since 2010 and plan to continue it as an annual event to engage young students and foster an awareness of environmental responsibility.
“It’s a huge week that’s chock full of activities and, to be honest, something we enjoy almost as much as the kids,” Ms Fleming said, “And if we can communicate our love and respect for this beautiful part of the world to the young people who are inheriting it, as well as the sense of responsibility to look after it, it will be more than worth the effort.”
Chaa Creek is set within a pristine 365 acre private nature reserve that is home to an extraordinary range of wildlife, birds and flora, and the Eco-Kids program is designed so that young people will come away with a deeper understanding and respect for the natural world and their place in it.
This years’ winners had to write a 300 word essay in English explaining why they wanted to be an Eco-Kid.
Congratulations Eco-Kids, and have a great adventure!
List of Winners 2012
Girls 8- 10 years old
- Reign Ackerley – Belize City, Belize District
Girls 11- 13 years old
- Brianni Danieli Requena –Santa Elena , Cayo District
- Kieva Mangar – Orange Walk Town, Orange Walk District
- Raeesa Ahmad – Belize City, Belize District
- Xanahia Borallos – Orange Walk Town, Orange Walk District
- Jalyssa Authurs – San Ignacio, Cayo District
- Diani Roches – Belize City, Belize District
- Gabriela Escobar - Orange Walk Town, Orange Walk District
- Chelsea Young - Belize City, Belize District
- Noelle Melendez- Belmopan, Cayo District
- Erica Wade – Stann Creek, Stann Creek District
- Emily Sanchez – San Pedro, Ambergis Caye
Boys 8 – 10 years old
- Shaahid Abdul Jaleel – Hattieville ,Belize District
- Roben Harrison – Belmopan, Cayo District
Boys 11 – 13 years old
- Luis Zavala –Yo Creek Village, Orange Walk District
- Elias Gonzalez – Belize City, Belize District
- Glen Tillet - Orange Walk Town, Orange Walk District
- Jaheim Mejia - Belize City, Belize District
- Javier Gongora - Yo Creek Village, Orange Walk District
- Eulogio Teul- Toledo District
- Kimauni Alwim Lewis - Belmopan, Cayo District
- Glevaughn Smith - Belize City, Belize District
- Erick Lopez- Corozal Town, Corozal District
- Tyler Casimiro- Toledo District