How to Make Belizean Ceviche
Yesterday we shared with you one of our favorite Belizean recipes – Coconut Shrimps. Today we will share another recipe which is loved by many people the world over.
The recipe is Belizean Ceviche and you can find more details below.
Traditional Belizean style ceviche made with Caribbean shrimps
- About half a pound of raw (uncooked) cleaned shrimp
- 2 cups diced ripe tomatoes
- 1 large onion diced
- 1 bunch cilantro chopped
- 1 habanero pepper minced
- 5 good limes
- 1 tsp salt (salt to taste)
- Rinse your shrimp under cool water. If you have tails on your shrimp get them off. Belizeans will rarely eat raw meats of any kind. Ceviche is an exception. You may cook your shrimp, if you do we recommend a flash boiling technique. Boil some water, and dump in the shrimp for 3-5 minutes, the second they turn pink pour out the water in strainer. OR just chop up the raw shrimp and let the acidity of the limes do the cooking. If you do make this recipe with conch… boiling your conch would be a damn shame. Conch is beautifully light and sweet tasting meat when raw. Cooked conch is better than no conch but the meat texture changes becoming chewy and tough if over cooked.
- After the shrimp is prepared chop it up. We prefer keeping the pieces large enough to be recognizable as shrimp/conch. But often the shrimp is cut very small so that it makes more servings. Shrimp can be expensive you decide.
- Once the shrimp is prepared you will essentially make a salsa with the other ingredients. Chop the tomatoes and onions into nice quarter inch chunks. Add lime juice and salt to taste. Mince 10 sprigs of cilantro, I like it cut fine. Add the shrimp! If you opted for raw shrimp let it soak in the lime juice for 20-30 minutes so that is can “cook” in the acidity of the lime juice.
- Serve with fried corn tortilla chips
Check out our Belize Recipes page where you can find a selection of recipes chosen from our past and present menus; from the kitchen of Lucy Fleming as well as from our guests.
Tags: Belize Appetizers, belize cuisine, Belize Food, Belize Food Packages, Belize Recipes, Belize Travel Tips, Belize Vacations, How to Make Belizean Ceviche, How to Make Ceviche, How to Make Shrimp Ceviche