In this blog post, we will share with you one of our favorite recipes – Belizean Coconut Shrimps.
Belizean Coconut Shrimps
- 1 local egg
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup belikin beer (Belizean beer)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups flaked coconut
- 24 shrimp
- 3 cups coconut oil for frying
See video below:
- In medium bowl, combine egg, 1/2 cup flour, belikin beer and baking powder. Place 1/4 cup flour and coconut in two separate bowls.
- Hold shrimp by tail, and dredge in flour, shaking off excess flour. Dip in egg/ belikin beer batter; allow excess to drip off. Roll shrimp in coconut, and place on a baking sheet lined with wax paper. Refrigerate for 30 minutes. Meanwhile, heat coconut oil to 350 degrees F in a deep-fryer.
- Fry shrimp in batches: cook, turning once, for 2 to 3 minutes, or until golden brown. Using tongs, remove shrimp to paper towels to drain. Serve warm with your favorite home made dipping sauce.
Check out our Belize Recipes page where you can find a selection of recipes chosen from our past and present menus; from the kitchen of Lucy Fleming as well as from our guests.